Working to lower remittance fees and provide innovative financing solutions for people, businesses, and governments
Migration and Development: A Role for the World Bank Group, World Bank, September 2016 (with Ozden and Plaza)
Migration and Remittances Factbook 2016, World Bank, March 2016 (with Plaza and Dervisevic)
Migration and Remittances during the Global Financial Crisis and Beyond, World Bank, (with Sirkeci and Cohen), June 2012.
Leveraging Migration for Africa: Remittances, Skills, and Investments, World Bank, (with Mohapatra, Ozden, Plaza, Shaw and Shimeles), April 2011.
Diaspora for Development in Africa. World Bank, (with Plaza). May 2011.
Remittance Markets in Africa. World Bank, (with Mohapatra). May 2011.
Migration and Remittances Factbook 2011. World Bank, (with Mohapatra and Silwal), November 2010.
Migration Letters: Financial Crisis and Remittances (Special Issue). (with Sirkeci), October 2010.
Innovative Financing for Development. World Bank, (with Ketkar), October 2008.
Global Economic Prospects 2006: Economic Implications of Remittances and Migration. World Bank, (with Shaw), November 2005.
South-South Migration and Remittances. World Bank, (with Shaw), June 2007.
Remittances: Development Impact and Future Prospects. World Bank, (with Maimbo), June 2005.
Peer-reviewed Papers and Op Eds
· “Workers’ Remittances: A Large and Stable Source of External Development Finance,” Global Development Finance, World Bank, 2003. Also published in Remittances: Future Prospects and Development Impacts, edited by Maimbo and Ratha, 2005.
· “Does Governing Law Affect Bond Spreads? World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, October 2016 (with De and Kurlat).
· “The Migrant and Refugee Crisis,” Alliance Magazine, March 2016.
· “Migration and development: the Asian experience,” in Routledge Handbook of Immigration and Refugee Studies edited by Anna Triandafyllidou, 2016 (with Yi and Yousefi).
· “Diaspora and Development: Critical Issues,” in India Migration Report 2014: Diaspora and Development, edited by S. Irudaya Rajan. Routledge India 2014 (with Plaza).
· “Leveraging Migration and Remittances for Development,” UN Chronicle, the magazine of the United Nations, September 2013.
· "Impact of Remittances on Household Income, Asset and Human Capital: Evidence from Sri Lanka," Journal of Migration and Development, Vol 1 No. 1, 2012 (with De).
· “Remittances and Natural Disasters: ex-post Response and Contribution to ex-ante Preparedness," Environment, Development and Sustainability, April 2012 (with Mohapatra and Joseph).
· "Remittances and Development,” in Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization, edited by George Ritzer, 2012 (with Mohapatra).
· "Migrant Remittances and Development,” in The Evidence and Impact of Financial Globalization, edited by Caprio, Beck, Claessens, and Schmukler, 2013 (with Mohapatra).
· "Impact of Migration on Economic and Social Development," Migration Policy Practice, Vol 1, No. 1, October 2011 (with Mohapatra and Scheja).
· "Diaspora Bonds for Funding Education," Migration Letters, Vol 8, No. 2, October 2011 (with Ketkar).
· “Harnessing Diasporas,” Finance and Development, September 2011.
· “A Bond for the Homeland,” Foreign Policy, May 2011 (with Okonjo-Iweala).
· “Homeward Bond.” March 2011. New York Times/International Herald Tribune.
· “Diaspora Bonds: Tapping the Diaspora During Difficult Times,” Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy, October 2010 (with Ketkar).
· “Determinants of the distance between sovereign credit ratings and sub-sovereign bond ratings: Evidence from emerging markets and developing economies,” Applied Economics, July 2017 (with Mohapatra and Nose).
· “Sovereign Ratings in the Post-Crisis World: An Analysis of Actual, Shadow and Relative Risk Ratings,” World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, October 2013 (with Basu, De and Timmer)
· “Shadow Sovereign Ratings for Unrated Developing Countries,” World Development, September 2010 (with Mohapatra and De).
· “Forecasting Migrant Remittances during the Global Financial Crisis,” Migration Letters, October 2010 (with Mohapatra).
· “Dollars without Borders,” Foreign Affairs, October 2009.
· “Remittances in Development: A Lifeline to Poor Countries,” Finance and Development, December 2009.
· “New Paths to Funding,” Finance and Development, June 2009 (with Ketkar).
· “State Policies toward Migration and Development,” Social Science Research Council Web Anthology, February 2008.
· “Beyond Aid: New Sources and Innovative Mechanisms for Financing Development in Sub-Saharan Africa,” in Africa at a Turning Point?: Growth, Aid, and External Shocks, edited by Delfin Go and John Page,. April 2008.
· “South-South Migration and Remittances,” World Bank Working Paper 102, June 2007 (with Shaw). Also published in Migration Information Source as a two-part series.
· “Leveraging Remittances for Development.” MPI Policy Brief, June 2007
· “Migrant Remittances as a Source of Development Finance,” in World Migration Report, International Organization for Migration. 2005.
· “Migrant Remittances in Central America.” Chapter in Central America: Structural Foundations for Regional Financial Integration,” edited by Patricia Brenner, International Monetary Fund, 2006.
· “Recent Developments in Future-Flow Securitization,” The Financier. December 2005 (with Ketkar).
· “Securitization of Future Flow Receivables: A Useful Tool for Developing Countries.” Finance and Development, March 2001.
· “Financing Development through Future-Flow Securitization.” PREMnotes, World Bank, June 2002.
· “Development Financing during a Crisis: Future-Flow Securitization,” Policy Research Working Paper 2582, April 2001.
· “Remittances: A Lifeline for Development.” Finance and Development, Back to Basics, December 2005.
· “Sending Money Home: Trends in Migrant Remittances.” Finance and Development, Picture This, December 2005.
· “Trends, Determinants, and Macroeconomic Effects of Remittances.” Global Economic Prospects 2006.
· “Remittances, Households, and Poverty.” Global Economic Prospects 2006.
· “Reducing Remittance Fees.” Global Economic Prospects 2006.
· “Demand for World Bank Lending,” Economic Systems, December 2005.
· “South-South FDI flows: How Big Are They?” Transnational Corporations, April 2004 (with Aykut).
· "On Finite Lifetimes and Growth," Journal of Macro Economics, Spring 1996 (with Chetty).
· “The Role of Short-Term Debt in Recent Crises,” Finance and Development, December 2000 (with Dadush and Dasgupta).
· "Price Subsidies and Irrigation Investment in India: Macro Implications," Economic and Political Weekly, September 26, 1992 (with Sarma).
· “Corporate Financing Patterns and Performance,” in The Future of Domestic Capital Markets in Developing Countries edited by Litan, Pomerleano and Sundararajan, Brookings, 2003 (with Mohapatra and Suttle).
· “Short-Term Debt and Financial Crises,” in Managing Financial and Corporate Distress: Lessons from Asia, edited by Adams, Litan, and Pomerleano, Brookings, 2000 (with Mohapatra and Suttle).
· “The Benefits and Risks of Short-Term Borrowing.” Chapter in Global Development Finance 2000, April 2000.
· "Sustaining and Promoting Equity-Related Finance for Developing Countries." Global Development Finance 2003.
· "Complementarity Between Public and Private Investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, July 1990 (with Pradhan and Sarma).
· Lead author of 20+ issues of Migration and Development Brief, a semi-annual publication of the World Bank.
· “Did BIS Regulations Shorten Debt Maturity in Developing Countries?” Economic and Political Weekly, April 2002.
· “India’s Exports of Capital Goods – An Evaluation,” Economic and Political Weekly, May 1990 (with Sahoo).
· “African Art Needs to Come Home – And This Is Why,” The Guardian, October 21, 2015 (with Kabanda).
· “Raising Diaspora’s Contributions to Development,” in Comoros Policy Notes: Accelerating Economic Development in the Union of Comoros, World Bank, 2014 (with Plaza).
· “Middle-Income Countries: Development Challenges and Growing Global Role,” Background paper for the Report of the Task Force on the World Bank Group and the Middle-Income Countries, September 2000. Issued as Policy Research Working Paper 2657, August 2001 (with Fallon, Hon and Qureshi)
· “What Factors Appear to Drive the Flows of Private Capital to Developing Countries? And How Does IBRD/IDA Lending Respond?” Background paper for a Board document on lending review, OPS, World Bank, June 1999. Also issued as Policy Research Working Paper 2392, July 2000 (with Dasgupta).
"Speculative Activity in
Hong Kong in 1998," Chapter in the Economic Update on Hong Kong,
· "Inflation, Growth and Administered Prices: Some Lessons from a Model of India," Report submitted to the Planning Commission of India, April 1988 (with Chetty).
· "Food Subsidies and Economic Growth: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, May 1988 (with Chetty).